Saturday, May 1, 2010

Day 1 "The Labyrinth"

I arrived in Japan on time, with the left half of the plane landing first, but overall not too bad of a landing.

Got of the plane, then was taken to the main part of the air port by a shuttle train.

Went to the toilet as soon as I could, as I was busting.

Went and got my luggage.

Went and got my Japanese Rail voucher exchanged for my Japanese Rail Pass (The queue took forever).

Then proceeded to the train which took me from Narita airport to Tokyo - a very enjoyable 59min ride with some great scenery.

... oh ... dear ... God ... An unnecessarily complicated network of mazes ...

Kept asking random store vendors for directions, and eventually got pointed to information.

Went where information said and got lost ... again.

A kind stranger noticed I looked lost and so I showed him the map I was given when I got my rail pass and pointed to where I wanted to go, and he told me how to get there.

After eventually getting to where I needed to go, not being sure of how the train system works here, I chanced it and darted through an open gate ... I made it ... mu luggage didn't, so I picked it up and lugged it over the gate.  I hope no one noticed, but no one made a deal out of it anyway, big or small.

I eventually got on the train that took me to Kasumigaseki station (second stop after where I got on - red line) after which I had to change onto the green line to get from Kasumigaseki to Akasaka - myy final stop before having to walk to my hotel.

To get from Kasumigaseki red line, to green line was ... epic Luckily, a girl from information, whose English was limited but good, was kind enough to take me the whole way, even pointing out the right platform.

After I finally got to Akasaka it was a matter of asking random strangers directions and hoping that they spoke English.

One Japanese man, noticing I looked lost, came up to me and asked where I was going, and actually walked most of the way with me, even though he was going in the opposite direction - He spoke fluent English as he had lived in Europe working for a trading company for twenty years.

I arrived at my hotel where it turns out they were expecting a day previous, due to my travel agent having booked me in at that time.

Got to my room; unpacked; freaked out about not having keys but found them; went to reception to ask where I could by a universal converter - turns out they sell them. $6.50

Anyway, it's 9:17am on Day 2 no, so I must go or else I'll have nothing to write.

See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment